[1988] Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden




Mark Hollis, like David Sylvian of Japan, Bjork of The Sugarcubes and David Byrne of the Talking Heads, always seemed to be peeking over the horizon and onto the next thing even while his band was appearing on 'Top of the Pops' or pandering to record label execs.
Spirit of Eden is that moment when he finally realized that walking away from the safety of the pop charts was far more satisfying than making an album full of compromises.
Spirit of Eden isn't really a pop record or a new wave record or a jazz record. It defies classification and yet captures the heart of many pop, new wave and jazz fans alike. That is because this is a collection of timeless music made all the more memorable by Mark Hollis' frail and delicate musings on life, love and the heartbreak of heroin.
There aren't synthesizer hooks or an overkill of fretless bass as on previous Talk Talk efforts.. instead you'll find passionately played harmonica and carefully orchestrated horns and strings. This isn't your typical orchestral syrup poured over pop tunes masquerading as art. These are gorgeous freeform songs played with love and passion and held together by the thrill of hearing a band performing at its creative peak.
I don't want to explain what each of the six songs do for me personally because I think discovering that for oneself is the real gift of Spirit of Eden. My only wish in writing is that someone, somewhere, will read this and seek out a copy for themselves. It has been two months now and I haven't taken it out of my CD player.
I lied, I have another wish. That Mark Hollis will read enough of these and be forced to consider making more music. True, Laughing Stock and Mark Hollis solo are wonderful too. It's hard to imagine, however, what lovely music Hollis lives with in his mind that might not see the light of day.
I don't expect that I'll be without Spirit of Eden anytime soon. It has become a part of my nightly ritual. Headphones on. Lights out. And the story begins...



Genre: Art rock, Post-Rock
Quality: FLAC

That ain't me babe


0 comments:

Post a Comment